Pinner Village was originally a hamlet, first recorded in 1231 as Pinnora, although the already archaic -ora (meaning 'hill') suggests its origins lie no later than c.900. The name Pinn is shared with the River Pinn, which runs through the village. The oldest part of the village lies around the fourteenth-century parish church of St. John the Baptist, at the junction of the present day Grange Gardens, The High Street and Church Lane. The earliest surviving private dwelling, East End Farm Cottage, dates from the late fifteenth-century. The station was opened on 25 May 1885, following a prior expansion to nearby Harrow-on-the-Hill station in 1880. It remained the terminus of the Metropolitan Railway until 1 September 1887 when the line was further extended to Rickmansworth. The long, single-story station building on the up (southbound) platform is the original building, and resembles the stations at Rickmansworth, Chorleywood and Chalfont & Latimer. The down platform buildings were built during the four-tracking project of the 1950s and 60s in a matching yellow brick.
In 1915, the Metro-land project was conceived in order to move people out of central London into rural Middlesex. Houses near the stations were built in haste and sold for as little as £400 each. However, in Pinner houses built during this expansion were required to be worth at least £1,000 – compared to Harrow-on-the-Hill where prices were subject to a £750 minimum. Since Pinner is not served by fast services, one should change at Harrow-on-the-Hill or Moor Park for an all stations or semi-fast Metropolitan line train in either direction. This change is only needed on Mondays-Fridays during peak hours only (southbound during the morning peak and northbound during the evening peak). Accessibility lifts opened on 18 July 2008 making the station totally step-free. The station has toilets, help points, payphones, lifts, a car park and a waiting room.
Connections: London bus routes 183, H11, H12 and H13 serve the station's location and provide services that terminate at Golders Green, Harrow, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood Hills, Ruislip, South Harrow and Stanmore. The H12 route also connects Pinner tube station to Hatch End railway station.