The Metropolitan Railway (Harrow and Uxbridge Railway) constructed the line between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Uxbridge and commenced services on 4 July 1904 with, initially, Ruislip being the only intermediate stop. At first, services were operated by steam trains, but track electrification was completed in the subsequent months and electric trains began operating on 1 January 1905. The formation was made wide enough at Ruislip to enable another pair of tracks to be constructed as passing loops or additional platform roads. Neither has ever occurred. On 1 March 1910, an extension of the District line from South Harrow to connect with the Metropolitan Railway at Rayners Lane was opened enabling District line trains to serve stations between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge from that date. On 23 October 1933, District line services were replaced by Piccadilly line trains.
Ruislip appears in the Domesday Book as Rislepe, thought to mean 'leaping place on the river where rushes grow', in reference to the River Pinn. The parish church, St Martin's, has been dated to the mid-13th century. An earlier church is believed to have been built during the Norman period, as a stone was found within the grounds with markings from that time. The name St. Martin is believed to have been given to the church by the monks of the Bec Abbey, after Martin of Tours, a saint in Normandy. Before 1245, references to the church only name it as "Ruislip church". It is formed from the Old English 'rysc' and 'hlyp'.The station is located on Station Approach. It is in Travelcard Zone 6. ATTENTION: The station's eastbound (Central London) platform is accessible. Wheelchair users who wish to travel in the Uxbridge direction must travel to Sudbury Town or Northwick Park and change direction there; when coming from Central London, they must continue until Hillingdon to change direction. The station has a waiting room, car park and toilets.
Connections: Piccadilly Line. London Buses routes 114, 331, 398, E7, H13, U1 and U10 serve the station..