The station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR). Trains originally operated between Golders Green and Charing Cross tube station, with extensions to Edgware and Kennington in 1923–24 and 1926, respectively. All trains ran via the Charing Cross branch. As part of a comprehensive signing scheme, the 'UndergrounD' lettering was added in 1908. With the subsequent extension of the City and South London Railway (C&SLR) to Camden Town in 1924, the CCE&HR and C&SLR were joined, allowing through running on the Bank branch and service as far south as Clapham Common, extending to Morden in 1926.
For ticketing purposes, Chalk Farm falls in Travelcard Zone 2. It also has the shallowest lift shafts of any Underground station (21 ft). Station refurbishment by Tube Lines was completed in 2005. The station is a Grade II listed building.
Connections: London Buses routes 31, 168 and 393 and night routes N5, N28 and N31 serve the station.