The station opened as Clapham Road on 3 June 1900 as part of an extension of the City & South London Railway to Clapham Common one stop to the south. The original station building was replaced in the mid-1920s when the line was modernised and the original building was remodelled by Charles Holden. The ticket hall was rebuilt after the installation of escalators and Figgis's station facade was replaced with biscuit-cream faience slabs and black coping tiles to the parapet walls. The station's name was changed to Clapham North on 13 September 1926 after the line was extended to Morden that year.
The station is one of two remaining stations that has an island platform in the station tunnel, serving both the northbound and southbound lines; the other is Clapham Common. These are the narrowest platforms on the underground system. They do not have backwalls so please be very careful to stand in the centre of the island. Although there is no direct interchange link interchange between the station and Clapham High Street Railway Station it is counted as an Out of Station Interchange on Oyster, so journeys involving a change between the two are charged as through journeys and not two separate journeys.
Connections: London Overground (via Clapham High Street - see above). London Buses routes 50, 88, 155, 322, 345 and P5 and night route N155 serve the station.