High Barnet station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway on the original site of the Barnet Faire. It was the terminus of the branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940 and, after a period where the station was served by both operators, LNER services ended in 1941. The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today, a considerable number of platform buildings dating from the pre-LT era.
A new covered step-free entrance from the car park to platform one is now available, along with a ramp at the end of the platform connecting it to platforms two and three. There are also two accessible toilets now available. There is full step-free access coverage in the station, although a considerably steep path to the station still exists if approaching from the north and a steep approach from the road to station level from the south also remains.
Connections: London Buses 34, 84, 107, 184, 234, 263, 307, 326, 383, 384, 389, N20 - night service, 606, 626 and634 - school services - serve the station.