The first station was opened by the Midland Railway in 1868 on the extension to its new London terminal at St Pancras. Prior to that, Midland Railway trains used the London and North Western Railway lines to Euston or the Great Northern Railway lines to King's Cross. Until the St. Pancras extension was complete, and for some time afterwards, some trains exchanged the locomotive at Kentish Town for one fitted with condensing apparatus and continued to Moorgate station. The separate London Underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR), a precursor of the Northern line.
A major upgrading of the whole Thameslink line infrastructure is underway, for expected completion by 2018. However, the four platforms at Kentish Town station are not being extended from eight to 12 carriages because of road bridges at each end which cannot be relocated, so only services that continue to be served by eight-car trains will be able to call there.
Connections: National Rail (Thameslink). London Buses routes 134, 214, 393 and C2 and night route N20 serve the station.