The City and South London railway opened to passengers between Stockwell and King William Street on 18 December 1890, and was both the first standard gauge tube and the first railway to employ electric traction in London. To avoid disturbance of surface buildings the tube was shield-driven at deep level, and much of the work was done via shafts at station sites which later contained the passenger lifts. The Oval station, opened as Kennington Oval, was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing.
The Station is about 500 yards from the Oval cricket ground and is in Travelcard Zone 2. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.
Connections: London Bus routes 3, 36, 59, 133, 155, 159, 185, 333, 415 and 436 and night routes N3, N109, N133, N136 and N155 serve the station.