The station was designed by Charles Holden and opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway, which is now part of the Northern line. Originally known as Trinity Road (Tooting Bec), it was given its present name on 1 October 1950. For many years the northern panel of the screen was the sole example on any of the Morden extension stations to retain the 1920s "UNDERGROUND" lettering, the other stations' screens having been replaced with plain glass over the years.
The narrow satellite building on the east side of the junction provides pedestrian subway access to the station and is unusual in that it has a large glazed roundel on each of the three panels of its glazed screen, as normally the Morden extension stations have the roundel in just the centre panel. On the platforms the station has two examples of clocks from the Self Winding Clock Company of New York. The station is in Travelcard Zone 3.
Connections: London Buses routes 155, 219, 249, 319 and 355 and night route N155 serve the station.