The station was opened on 19 July 1894 by the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway and was originally situated east of Blackhorse Lane. The station was resited on 14 December 1981 to provide better interchange with the tube station which had opened on 1 September 1968. The road now known as Forest Road was originally called Clay Street. The LGOC X-type and B-type were built at Blackhorse Lane from October 1908 onwards. The B-type is considered one of the first mass-production buses. The manufacturing operation later became AEC, famous as the manufacturer of many of London's buses. On 13 June 1909, A. V. Roe's aircraft took to the air from Walthamstow Marshes. It was the first all-British aircraft and was given the ominous nickname of the "Yellow Terror" but officially carried the name Avro1. Roe later founded the Avro aircraft company, which later built the acclaimed Avro Lancaster.
The station contains two underground platforms for the Victoria line and two for the London Overground. The underground station, like many stations on the Victoria line, was never completely finished. White ceiling panels were never fixed to the ceilings above the platforms; instead the steel tunnel segments were painted black and used to support the fixtures and fittings. This has had a detrimental effect on the lighting levels. The typical off-peak service for London Overground (Mondays-Fridays & Sundays) in trains per hour (tph) is: 4 tph westbound to Gospel Oak, 4 tph eastbound to Barking, The typical off-peak service for London Overground (Saturdays) in trains per hour (tph) is: 4 tph westbound to Gospel Oak, 4 tph eastbound to Barking. Ticket barriers control access to all platforms. Passengers using Oyster cards are required to tap on an interchange Oyster card reader when transferring between the two lines. The station is in Travelcard Zone 3 and has wi-fi, payphones, a car park, escalators and ASDA click and collect but no toilets.
Connections: Victoria Line. London Bus routes 123, 158, 230 and night route N73 serve the station.