If there was a competition for the London station which had the most name changes, Harringay Green Lanes would certainly be a front-runner. It was opened on 1 June 1880 with the name Green Lanes, but not for long. Since then it has had the following changes: Harringay Park, Green Lanes (1883), Harringay Park (18 June 1951), Harringay Stadium (27 October 1958), Harringay East (12 May 1990) and Harringay Green Lanes (8 July 1991).There were originally wooden platform buildings, which were replaced by brick and concrete structures in the 1950s. The original ticket office at street level survived and in recent times has been converted into a café. To cope with the huge number of passengers visiting Harringay Stadium and Arena, both right next to the station, very long platforms were provided, but these were shortened in late 2003 due to subsidence. Just west of the station was the goods yard; this closed on 3 February 1964, and is now Railway Fields nature reserve. It is very probable that the name Harringay has its origin in the Saxon period, most likely derived from the name of a Saxon person, probably a local chieftain, called Hering - Heringes-hege in Old English means the enclosure of "Hering". The earliest written form was Harenhg in about 1195. It gave rise to the names Harringay (the district of London), the London Borough of Haringey, and Hornsey. Its development into these three forms was complex and included at least 162 variations. Until the close of the eighteenth century all variants referred to the same area, around present-day Harringay and Hornsey, but from the late Tudor period Hornsey took precedence in common usage: Harringay survived more as a legal entity and in the records of the Manor of Harringay.
The original station building is now the Green Lanes Cafe. Trains run every 15 minutes in each direction, towards either Gospel Oak or Barking. All passenger services from the station are operated by London Overground. The lines through the station are also used frequently by freight trains. In summer 2008, the station was repainted and re-signed in London Overground colours, with the green-painted staircase railings (for example) of the former Silverlink franchise giving way to Overground orange. The station has no direct interchange to a tube station, despite the fact that the Piccadilly line runs directly beneath it and the distance between the two stations at either end of this section, Turnpike Lane and Manor House, is particularly long for the line. Manor House station is about 770 yards (700 m) away. Transfer on a single ticket is allowed between Harringay Green Lanes and nearby Harringay. The station has step-free access from street to platform. The station is in Travelcard Zone 3 and has wi-fi, boarding ramps, help points and a waiting room but no toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 29, 141 and 341 and night route N29 serve the station.