Bush Hill Park was farmland that was part of an estate centred on Bush Hill Park House, a country house. The estate changed hands several times in the 18th century before coming under the ownership of William Mellish, a merchant and MP for Middlesex. By this time the estate covered 438 acres (177 ha) – one of the largest in the parish. The estate was broken up in 1875 with the North London Estates Company NLEC, a speculative development company buying 373 acres (151 ha) acres. Bush Hill Park House was sold separately and demolished in 1929. Initially, the estate was slow to develop. However, with the building of Bush Hill Park station in 1880 the first phase of houses were built between 1880–1886. The houses were divided into a prestige development in Village Road and other substantial homes were completed in Wellington Road, Queen Anne's Place and Dryden Road. Most of these earlier houses were designed by architect, R Tayler Smith for the NLEC. By 1887, following a housing boom a ten year decline began with NLEC going bankrupt in 1887. Demand for housing picked up due to the expansion of the Royal Small Arms Factory during the Boer War and the present form of the estate was completed by 1914. Between 1914–1960 development was restricted to infilling existing plots. After 1960 larger properties were demolished and replaced by blocks of flats. In 1987, much of the estate was designated as a conservation area and halted such redevelopment.
The typical off-peak service is two trains per hour to Enfield Town, and two trains per hour to London Liverpool Street. There are extra trains added during peak times and Tottenham Hotspur FC matchdays. Although rather unprepossessing on the outside the station is well-equipped, especially platform 1, which, fortuitously, is the Liverpool Street bound side and thus the busier platform; there being only Enfield Town in the other direction. On 31 May 2015 the Liverpool Street-Cheshunt/Enfield Town services, transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to London Overground Rail Operations. This resulted in the ability of entitled Freedom Pass holders to use their passes at any time, as on the Underground, thus avoiding the need for those holders to carry an Oyster card when making journeys prior to 09:30. Bush Hill Park station has entry/exit barriers which require passengers to use their Oyster/Freedom passes. The station is in Travel Card Zone 5. The station has wi-fi, payphones, boarding ramps, a waiting room, a car park, help points and toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 192 and 377 serve from just outside the station with the 231, 217 and 317 a short walk away on the Great Cambridge Road (A10).