The station was opened near the now closed Lower Edmonton (low level) railway station as "Edmonton Green" on 22 July 1872 by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on its new more direct line from central London. It was renamed "Lower Edmonton" on 1 July 1883. The original name was re-adopted in 1992 as being more indicative of the area served and to promote the nearby Edmonton Green Shopping Centre. The old highway Ermine Street passed through what is today Edmonton. Ermine Street was the main Roman Road from London through Lincoln and on to York. Edmonton appears in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it is recorded as Adelmetone- 'a farmstead or estate of a man called Ēadhelm' from an Old English personal name and tūn. In the 17th century the then rural Edmonton had a reputation for supernatural activities. In approximately 1600, a play entitled The Merry Devil of Edmonton was performed in London about a wizard who lived there. In 1621 the villagers accused an old woman, Elizabeth Sawyer, of witchcraft and she was subsequently executed at Tyburn; her story was told in a pamphlet by Henry Goodcole, and in a 1621 play entitled The Witch of Edmonton. The historic All Saints' Church is situated in Church Street as is Lamb's Cottage, which was home to writers Charles Lamb and Mary Lamb. John Keats, the poet, was apprenticed to surgeon Dr. Hammond in Church Street between 1810-1816. Edmonton was the home town of Sir James Winter Lake, director of the Hudson's Bay Company. The company's trading outpost named after Edmonton is now the capital of the Canadian province of Alberta.
In his 1782 poem, The Diverting History of John Gilpin, William Cowper relates the comic tale of John Gilpin a linen draper of Cheapside London, who was probably based on a Mr Beyer, a linen draper of the Cheapside corner of Paternoster Row. Gilpin's spouse decides she and her husband should spend their twentieth wedding anniversary at The Bell Inn, Fore Street, Edmonton. The journey is beset with misfortune from start to finish. Gilpin loses control of his horse which carries him on to the town of Ware ten miles (16 km) distant. On the return journey, Gilpin is still unable to handle his steed, as he once again he fails to stop at The Bell. The horse gallops back to Cheapside much to the dismay of his concerned spouse. Gilpin is remembered in Edmonton by the statue at Fore Street, the Wetherspoons outlet the Gilpin's Bell public house opposite the site of the original inn and the 1950s council housing Gilpin House in Upper Fore Street. The station ticket office was rebuilt in the early 1980s. Ticket Barriers were installed in 2012. Lifts to platform level are being installed and became operational in January 2015. On 31 May 2015 the Liverpool Street-Cheshunt/Enfield Town services, transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to London Overground Rail Operations. This resulted in the ability of entitled Freedom Pass holders to use their passes at any time, as on the Underground, thus avoiding the need for those holders to carry an Oyster card when making journeys prior to 09:30. Edmonton Green station has entry/exit barriers which require passengers to use their Oyster/Freedom passes. The station is in Travel Card Zone 4. The station has wi-fi, cash machines, boarding ramps, lifts and help points, but no toilets.
Connections: National Rail. London Buses Routes 102, 144, 149, 191, 192, 259, 279, 349, 491, 616, W6, W8, and Night Route N279 serve the station.