The station was opened as Brentford Road on 1 January 1869 by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) on a new branch line to Richmond built from the West London Joint Railway starting north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia)). The line ran through Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith via a now closed curve and Grove Road station in Hammersmith (also now closed). A short connection was also made from the North & South Western Junction Railway (N&SWJR) line to Brentford meeting the L&SWR line immediately north of the station. This line was served by the North London Railway (NLR). Brentford Road station originally had four platforms; two on the line to Richmond and two serving a loop (the Chiswick Curve) which connected to the line through Kew Bridge station. The station was given its current name in 1871. In 1932, the Chiswick Curve was closed and the tracks were later removed. The site of the curve is now a housing estate known as Chiswick Village.
The name "Gunnersbury" means "Manor house of a woman called Gunnhildr", and is from an old Scandinavian personal name + Middle English -bury, manor or manor house. On 8 December 1954 the station was damaged by a tornado which ripped off the roof and injured six people. Almost exactly fifty-two years later, another tornado hit London, damaging several properties in the Kensal Rise area on 7 December 2006. In the 1960s the station was redeveloped with just the two platforms it currently possesses. The London Overground and London Underground services share the same tracks. The station is located off Chiswick High Road (A315) and is in Travelcard Zone 3. The station has a bridge, waiting room and help points but no toilets.
Connections: District Line. London Buses routes 237, 267, 391, 440 and H91 and night route N9 serve the station.