The station opened in 1860. In the nineteenth century up to 100,000 people per day used the station at weekends and on public holidays as the Heath was a popular holiday destination for Londoners. The station was rebuilt, after Second World War bomb damage, and in the 1990s in conjunction with works to allow Eurostar trains to use the North London Line. The Heath first entered the history books in 986 when Ethelred the Unready granted one of his servants five hides of land at "Hemstede". This same land is later recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as held by the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster Abbey, and by then is known as the "Manor of Hampstead". Westminster held the land until 1133 when control of part of the manor was released to one Richard de Balta; then during Henry II's reign the whole of the manor became privately owned by Alexander de Barentyn, the King's butler. Manorial rights to the land remained in private hands until the 1940s when they lapsed under Sir Spencer Pocklington Maryon Wilson, though the estate itself was passed on to Shane Gough, 5th Viscount Gough.
The platform canopies are in a pseudo-antique style which is in stark contrast to the poured concrete style of the rest of the station's structural features. The line runs below street level with access via staircases to each platform. In 2012 lifts were added. The typical service at the station in trains per hour is: 4 westbound to Richmond via Willesden. 2 westbound to Clapham Junction (West London Line). 6 eastbound to Stratford via Camden Road, Highbury and Hackney. The station is the closest access to Hampstead Heath. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2 and has wi-fi, lifts and a waiting room, but no toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 24, 46, 168 and C11 serve the station..