Carpenders Park Platform

Carpenders Park Platform

Carpenders Park Entrance

Carpenders Park Entrance

Carpenders Park Platform

Carpenders Park Platform

 

Oxhey Golf Club had opened in May 1912. After representations, the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) opened a new station at Carpenders Park on 1st April 1914. This was a simple wooden halt, provided essentially for the needs of the Oxhey Golf Club, whose members came mainly from north London. It also served a few scattered houses. It was sited a few hundred yards [approximately seven minutes] south-east of the clubhouse and was served by certain trains only during golfing hours - and on request. Public electric services were extended over the New Line from Willesden Junction to Watford Junction on 16th April 1917. Carpenders Park station closed on 31st December 1916 as a wartime economy measure. It did not reopen until 5th May 1919 with the post-war build up of services. It was served by certain Bakerloo trains only. LNWR electric trains resumed service from 10th July 1922. In 1923 9,209 passengers used the station. The July 1923 timetable shows a half-hourly service to Euston between 10.14am and 9.14pm. The Sunday service also ran half-hourly between 9.07am and 8.07pm. The single fare to Euston was 2s 9d [13p] [second class] and 1s 8d [7p] [third class]. Carpenders Park was originally an estate based around a manor house of the same name. This was later a girls school, Highfields, which was demolished in 1960 to make way for USAF married quarters. These were in turn demolished in 1997/98.

 

The station is an island platform reached by a subway. This has exits to both the Carpenders Park (east) and South Oxhey (west) estates. Please note that the subway incline is quite steep. The general frequency in late 2015 is a train every 20 minutes. The average journey time to Watford Junction is 8 minutes and to London Euston 44 minutes. The station would benefit from some redecoration as it has a neglected air. Carpenders Park Lawn Cemetery is owned and operated by the London Borough of Brent. It was opened in 1954. The Hartsbourne stream meanders through fourteen acres of mature woodland - the key feature of the cemetery - and there is a small lake. Brent has provided an area in the cemetery for the Muslim community since 1980. The station is in Travel Card Zone 7. The station has wi-fi, boarding ramps, and a covered area for waiting but no toilets.

 

Connections: Red Eagle Bus routes R16, R17 and W19 and Arriva route 8 serve the station.