The station opened on 31 July 1933, the last of the stations on the extension of the line from Finsbury Park to do so and four months after Oakwood station (then called Enfield West) opened. Prior to its opening, "Trent Park" and "Cock Fosters" (an early spelling of the area's name) were suggested as alternative station names. The original site hoarding displayed the name as a single word. The station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, glass and reinforced concrete. Compared with the other new stations Holden designed for the extension, Cockfosters' street buildings are modest in scale, lacking the mass of Oakwood or Arnos Grove or the avant-garde flourish of Southgate. Holden's early design sketches show the station with two towers. The most striking feature of the station is the tall concrete and glass train shed roof and platform canopies which are supported by portal frames of narrow blade-like concrete columns and beams rising from the platforms and spanning across the tracks. The trainshed roof constructed at Uxbridge in 1937-38 was built to a similar design. Cockfosters station is a Grade II listed building.
The station has three tracks with platforms number 1 to 4; the centre track being served from both sides by platforms 2 and 3. This is an example of the so-called Spanish solution. Most eastbound Piccadilly trains terminate here although some terminate at Oakwood or Arnos Grove, particularly in peak hours or in the evenings. Some trains may even terminate at Wood Green. However, this is only used very early in the morning or in emergency situations. The station is located on Cockfosters Road (A111) approximately nine miles from central London. The station is in Travelcard Zone 5. As part of the 2006 refurbishment the staircase was resurfaced on the east and west entrances to make them more user-friendly for those with sight problems. The station has payphones, toilets and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 299, 384 and 298 and night route N91 serve the station.