The Metropolitan Railway (Harrow and Uxbridge Railway) constructed the line through Ickenham between Harrow on the Hill and Uxbridge and commenced services on 4 July 1904 with, initially, the only intermediate stop being at Ruislip. At first, services were operated by steam trains, but track electrification was completed in the subsequent months and electric trains began operating on 1 January 1905. Progressive development in the north Middlesex area over the next two decades led to the gradual opening of additional stations along the Uxbridge branch to encourage the growth of new residential areas. On 25 September 1905 a small halt was opened as Ickenham Halt by the Metropolitan Railway, following lobbying by the Ickenham Parish Council. The railway company had been reluctant to open a station in the area due to a perceived lack of revenue and so a compromise was reached with the halt. The new halt brought with it travellers from London seeking a day-out in rural surroundings. Villagers living near the halt sold flowers from their gardens and served teas. The parish council later requested shelters for passengers on the platforms, which were built in December 1905. A booking hut followed in 1910. The platforms, which had been too short for trains to call at fully, were extended in 1922. On 1 March 1910, an extension of the District line from South Harrow to connect with the Metropolitan Railway at Rayners Lane was opened, enabling District line trains to serve stations between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge from that date. On 23 October 1933 District line services were replaced by Piccadilly line trains.
The station is on the Uxbridge branch of both the Metropolitan line and Piccadilly line, between Ruislip and Hillingdon stations. It is in Travelcard Zone 6. Ickenham Halt was later rebuilt as a station in the 1970s. The station has a car park, payphones and a waiting room.
Connections: Metropolitan Line. London Buses route U10 serves the station. London Buses route U1 also passes close by on the Ickenham High Road.