Apperley Bridge station is situated in Bradford on the (Leeds and Bradford, later Midland) line between Leeds and Shipley, West Yorkshire, England. It serves the district of Apperley Bridge in the north-east of the city. The Leeds and Bradford Railway opened on 30 June 1846. At first, there were no intermediate stations. Temporary stations were provided, including Apperley Bridge, which opened some time during July 1846. A permanent structure followed about a year later. It comprised two platforms, partly covered by an overall roof. The main building ran parallel to the railway on the south side up at road level. A principal customer was Woodhouse Grove School, whose land had been crossed by the Railway. About 1849, the railway agreed to purchase gas from the school to light the station.
The Leeds and Bradford Railway was leased to the Midland Railway from just before its opening, an event of some importance in terms of railway politics. It contributed to the downfall of George Hudson and helped ensure that Bradford never had a through railway. It had previously been thought that the Leeds and Bradford might join with the Manchester & Leeds Railway. The railway was widened to four tracks in about 1900, taking more land from Woodhouse Grove School, who used the money to build a swimming baths. The station was enlarged to four platforms, with a distinctive wooden building above at road level. The original station building was demolished when the cutting was widened to accommodate the new "fast lines" on the south side. Platform four, on the up slow line, remained the original of 1847 as there was not room to develop it. The other platforms, number 1 on the down fast line and numbers 2 and 3, the island between the up fast and down slow, were longer, wider and higher. Steps were needed to board trains on platform 4. There were canopies above all four platforms.
The station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, and passed to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was transferred to the North Eastern Region in 1957 and gained ten tangerine totem signs about 1961. A goods yard operated in the angle between the main line and the Ilkley branch. It handled domestic coal until closure in June 1964. By that time the cattle dock was overgrown. A small housing estate now stands on the site. The passenger station gained an enhanced service, almost at regular intervals, when diesel multiple units were introduced in January 1959. Just one stopping train remained steam-hauled, the 6.24 pm to Leeds, which conveyed more parcel vans than passenger stock. It was named the "Derby Slow" and continued to Derby after a lengthy pause at Leeds.
Go-ahead for construction of both Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge was given in the National Infrastructure Plan released on 29 November 2011. The original estimated completion date of August 2015 was not met, and the opening was later scheduled for the end of September 2015. The station was eventually reopened on 13 December 2015. The new station has a free car park, bicycle rungs and a bus terminus. There is an automated ticket machine at the station entrance. Both platforms, in-line with the Disability Discrimination Act, are accessible by wheelchair via ramps. Both platforms have an unheated shelter and digital information screens. A new set of traffic lights manages traffic at the entrance to the station car park.
Apperley Bridge is primarily served by trains from Leeds to Bradford Forster Square on the Leeds-Bradford Line. These services operate every 30 minutes each way and are mostly operated by Northern Class 333 electric multiple units, although Class 321 and Class 322 sets are used on some weekday workings. Most trains to Skipton and further beyond pass through the station without stopping (though a small number do call in the morning peak). Monday to Saturday evening trains run to and from Skipton; passengers for Bradford Forster Square must change using a connecting shuttle service that runs between Shipley and Bradford Forster Square. On Sundays, there is an hourly service to both Leeds and Bradford Forster Square. Weekday trains from Apperley Bridge, apart from a small number of evening peak services, will not stop at Kirkstall Forge, instead running directly to Leeds (though they will call there on Sundays). Trains towards Bradford Forster Square and Skipton call at all stations.
Local Taxis from Leeds Interchange
Bus Connections: 747 (Bradford to Harrogate), 948 (Eccleshill Park Road to Apperley Bridge Station). Live Next Bus.