It is almost certain that cricket reached London, and thereby Middlesex, by the 16th century. Early references to the game in London or Middlesex are often interchangeable and sometimes it is not clear if a particular team represents the city or the county. The first definite mention of cricket in London or Middlesex dates from 1680. It is a clear reference to "the two umpires" (the earliest mention of an umpire in what seems to be a cricket connection) and strongly suggests that the double wicket form of the game was already well known in London. The earliest known match in Middlesex took place at Lamb's Conduit Fields in Holborn on 3 July 1707 involving teams from London and Croydon. In 1718, the first reference is found to White Conduit Fields in Islington, which later became a very famous London venue. The earliest known reference to a team called Middlesex is on 5 August 1728 when it played London Cricket Club "in the fields behind the Woolpack, in Islington, near Sadlers Wells, for £50 a side". Middlesex was very quick to use the new Lord's Cricket Ground when it opened in 1787 for the earliest known match there was Middlesex v Essex on 31 May 1787 (Middlesex won by 93 runs). Noted Middlesex players in the 18th century included William Fennex and Thomas Lord.
The Marylebone Thursday Club, as such, met at Lord's but had no direct connection with the MCC, except that MCC ground staff players like Ray and Sylvester might play for it as given men. The Thursday Club did have county connections with Middlesex and this is why the two are often confused. It seems that the Thursday Club was started by gentlemen cricketers of Middlesex who soon acquired the services of certain Middlesex professionals. As a result, the team was sometimes called the Middlesex XI. The answer seems to lie in the works of Samuel Britcher, who was the MCC scorer and so he was, literally, the primary source for these early MCC games. He calls the team "Thursday Club" in the first three matches of 1795 (as does Haygarth) but then refers to "the County of Middlesex" in both the fourth and fifth games on 25 May and 26 June. Haygarth simply uses "Middlesex" for these two. Britcher refers to the "Middlesex Club" from 1796. It is now believed that the club was originally a Thursday Club in the literal sense but that it was understood from the beginning that it considered itself to be representative of Middlesex as a county. It may even have had a Middlesex birth qualification for membership, like Yorkshire CCC so famously had until recently.
The club was informally founded on 15 December 1863 at a meeting in the London Tavern. The creation of the club was largely through the efforts of the Walker family of Southgate, which included several notable players including the famous V. E. Walker, who in 1859 became the first player to take 10 wickets in an innings and score a century in the same match. Middlesex CCC played its initial first-class match versus Sussex CCC at Islington on 6 & 7 June 1864. In the same season, the club was a contender for the title of "Champion County". Middlesex played at Lillie Bridge Grounds from 1869 before leaving in 1872 due to the poor quality of the turf. The club nearly folded at this time, a vote for continuing being won 7–6. They played at Prince's Cricket Ground from 1872 to 1876, and began using Lord's Cricket Ground in 1877. The Club has produced several noted players, particularly the great batsmen Patsy Hendren, Bill Edrich and Denis Compton. Bill Edrich scored 1,000 runs before the end of May in 1938. He needed just 15 innings, with 4 centuries, and every run was scored at Lord's. Don Bradman gave him the chance to score the 10 runs he needed in the Australian tour match with Middlesex by declaring his team's innings early. Middlesex won the County Championship in 1947 thanks to the unprecedented run scoring of Compton and Edrich. They both passed Tom Hayward's 1906 record of 3518 runs in a season with Compton making 3816 at 90.86 (18 centuries) and Edrich 3539 at 80.43 with a dozen centuries.
The earliest known match played on the current Lord's Cricket Ground was Marylebone Cricket Club v Hertfordshire on 22 June 1814. The annual Eton v Harrow match was first played on the Old Ground in 1805, and on the present Lord's Cricket Ground in July 1818. Much of Lord's Cricket Ground was rebuilt in the late 20th century. In 1987 the new Mound Stand followed by the Grandstand in 1996. Most notably, the Media Centre (by Future Systems) was added in 1998-9 which won The Royal Institute of British Architects Stirling Prize for 1999. The ground can currently hold up to 28,000 spectators. The two ends of the pitch are the Pavilion End (south-west), where the main members' Pavilion is located, and the Nursery End (north-east), dominated by the Media Centre. The main survivor of the Victorian era is The Pavilion with its famous Long Room; this was built in 1889–90 to the designs of architect Thomas Verity. The pavilion is primarily for members of MCC who may use its amenities including seats for viewing the cricket, the Long Room and other facilities such as the Long Room Bar, the Bowlers Bar, a members shop etc. For Middlesex matches the Pavilion is open to members of the Middlesex County Club. The Pavilion also contains the dressing rooms where players change, each of which has a small balcony for players to watch the play. In each of the two main dressing rooms are honours boards which commemorate all the centuries scored in Test matches on the Lord’s ground and all instances of a bowler's taking five wickets in a Test innings and ten wickets in a Test match. The only cricketer to hit a ball over the pavilion was Albert Trott off Monty Noble on 31 July 1899.
The Lord's Taverners, a charitable group comprising cricketers and cricket-lovers, take their name from the old Tavern pub at Lord's, where the organisation's founders used to congregate. The pub no longer exists, and the Tavern Stand now stands on its former site. However, a new pub of the same name is open in the grounds, as well as the Members Bar, in the Pavilion. One of the most distinctive and famous features of the Lord's ground is the significant slope across the field. The north-west side of the playing surface is 2.5 metres higher than the south-east side.] This slope causes appreciable deviation in the bounce of the ball on the pitch, making it easier to move the ball in to right-handed batsmen when bowling from the Pavilion End, and easier to move it away when bowling from the Nursery End.
Lord's is the home of the MCC Museum, which is the oldest sports museum in the world, and contains the world's most celebrated collection of cricket memorabilia, including The Ashes urn. MCC has been collecting memorabilia since 1864. The items on display include cricket kit used by, e.g., Victor Trumper, Jack Hobbs, Don Bradman and Shane Warne, many items related to the career of W. G. Grace; and curiosities such as the stuffed sparrow that was 'bowled out' by Jahangir Khan of Cambridge University in delivering a ball to T. N. Pearce batting for M.C.C on 3 July 1936. It also contains the battered copy of Wisden that helped to sustain E. W. Swanton through his captivity in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp during World War II. The Museum continues to collect historic artefacts and also commissions new paintings and photography. A recently opened exhibition, which celebrates the life and career of Brian Lara, is especially suitable for children. It contains the Brian Johnston Memorial Theatre, a cinema which screens historical cricket footage for visitors.
There is level access within most parts of Lord’s. The Extra Covers Food Area and the Harris Garden are accessible via level access roadways. The Ticket Office, Coronation Garden and The Lord's Tavern Bar & Brasserie (located by the Grace Gate) are served by ramps. Every step on each staircase is painted with a yellow line, two inches in width. Access to the Grand Stand, Mound Stand, the Lower Tiers of the Compton & Edrich Stands and the Tavern Concourse may be made via short staircases. Passenger lifts can be used to access the Upper Tiers of the Grand & Mound Stands. Map of Lord's for Disabled Visitors. Ground level lavatories are located at the Pavilion (by the North Door entrance), Mound Stand, Warner Stand, North Clock Tower, Grand Stand west, Grand Stand east. All lavatories at Lord’s have non-slip floors, emergency lighting and audio alarms if required. In June 2006, MCC launched an audio description service, which means that blind and partially-sighted fans can now listen to live ball-by-ball commentary on the majority of match days at Lord's. Headsets are available from stewards or the Head Steward's Office (which is located at the back of the Mound Stand).
The lifts which serve the Grand Stand and Mound Stand are accessible from level access roadways. All passenger lifts are fitted with emergency telephones, directly connected to the Grace Gate. Push buttons within are enhanced with tactile signage to assist blind or partially sighted passengers. Low level tactile buttons can be operated by wheelchair users. On major matchdays, there are three special areas for spectators in wheelchairs and their companions. These areas are: in front of the Warner and Mound Stands; and at the rear of the lower Grand Stand. It should be noted that whilst all areas offer excellent, unobstructed views of the cricket, only the Grand Stand area is under cover. The application form for the Wheelchair Areas is available from the MCC Ticket Office. As a result of space restrictions, each wheelchair user may be accompanied by only one companion. Guide tours of Lord's, including the Museum, Long Room and players dressing rooms, are available.
Location : St John's Wood Rd, London NW8 8QN
Transport: Marylebone (National Rail) 10 minutes.Underground: St Johns Wood (Jubilee Line). Bus Routes: stop on Wellington Road; 139 and 189 stop by the Grace Gate.
Capacity : 28,000
Opening Times: Daily 09:00 to 17:00
Tickets County : Adults £18.00; Seniors £9.00; Children £5.00. Day 4 - Adults £5.00, Seniors/Children Free
Tickets One Day : Adults £20.00; Seniors £10.00; Children (under 16) £5.00
Tickets T20 Blast : Adults £20.00; Seniors £20.00; Children (under 16) £5.00
Tickets University Challenge : Adults £13.00; Seniors £6.50; Children (under 16) £5.00
Tickets Museum/Tour : Match Ticket inc. Museum. Tours - Adults £20.00; Seniors £15.00; Children (5 - 15) £12.00
Tel: 020 7616 8500