Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). The river is known today as the River Westbourne. From the 1850s it was piped underground and is now one of London's many underground rivers. It opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt.
The station is situated on a viaduct crossing the main A5 trunk road at the north end of a stretch known as Kilburn High Road. It is approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the Cricklewood area and 200 metres (656 ft) north of Brondesbury station. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. Metropolitan line trains pass through the station, but do not stop. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979. In 2005, major refurbishing works took place, which involved the station being fully repainted, receiving a new CCTV system, better lighting, upgraded PA systems, new toilets, and new train indicator boards. The station ahs wi-fi, payphones, cash machines, Euro cash machines, lifts and toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 16, 32, 189, 316, 332 and 632 and night route N16 serve the station.